Friday, January 8, 2010

The birth year is upon us

2010. That's a nice year to be born. It sounds.... momentous.

We had an eventful Christmas break--our last one as a family of only 3. After a one-and-a-half days of driving, we arrived in Virginia where Eli soon learned at least half of the advantages of being born into this family. First, he has doting grandparents who love him (both in VA and in UT). Second, said grandparents have the COOLEST toys. Pop pop's boat is a big hit with Eli, as it will likely be with the new baby. We went for a "fast, fast" boat ride on Christmas Eve and had the unexpected treat of seeing "Santa" waterskiing. We were snuggled under a big blanket at the time, so I can only imagine how cold Santa must have been. But I guess he's used to that. Not to be outdone, Grandpa Doug took Eli for a ride in his airplane. This was the cherry on top of a day that also included a drive through a long tunnel and a ferry ride across the James River. Eli looked very composed in the back seat of the plane with his huge headphones on. And his Dad reports that he was an excellent flyer. I remained on the ground, so the new baby will have to wait awhile before getting his/her first flight with Grandpa Doug!

Of course, all of this got me thinking about how unbelievably lucky our kids are. Besides the fun toys mentioned above, Eli and the new baby will also have access to an enthusiastic surfer/surf instructor (Uncle Chris), trips around Manhattan (with Aunt Mary), motorcycle rides (with Granddad), and any number of great adventures with Renaissance grandma J. Oh, and Abe and I will take them skiing whenever possible. We should all be so lucky as kids!

The other big event in our family is that Abe got to feel the new baby moving for the first time. He/she is most active at the end of the day when I rest in front of the t.v. and one night the somersaults were obvious even at only 19 weeks. Makes me wonder what this kid will feel like at 30 weeks! I'm preparing for some wrenching jabs to the rib cage.

As of today, we have reached the half way point in the pregnancy - 20 weeks. Next Friday will be our big ultrasound where we have the option of finding out the baby's sex. I don't think we will. The fun of waiting and wondering is just too great. The most fun is reading old wives' tales and enjoying the wildly contradictory predictions they yield. I crave sour/salty things: boy. Abe put on a pound: girl. I had bad morning sickness and fatigue: girl. My feet aren't colder than usual: boy. Well, we've narrowed it down to two possibilities! Can't wait to see how I'm carrying this baby, so we'll have more "clues" to go on.

Anyway, in my perfect world, Abe will be the one who tells me whether we've a new son or daughter.

Until then,
Still Waiting.

1 comment: